Saturday, September 29, 2012

Matthew 3:13-17 Love

(NIV)

The Baptism of Jesus

13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Just a thought...

 God tells us  how delighted he is with his Son who is wanting to honor and be obedient to his Father.
God tells Jesus three things that all of us need to hear from our loved ones and to tell our loved ones:
 (1) God affirms his relationship with Jesus: "This is my Son!"
 (2) God affirms his love for Jesus: "Whom I love."
 (3) God affirms his joy in Jesus: "I am very pleased with him."

 If Jesus needed this affirmation at the beginning of his ministry and right before he faced temptation, don't those folks we love need it as well?  We should never assume that the people we love know we love them. God not only affirmed his love for his Son to his son, he didn't it publicly. This left no doubt about his feelings to Jesus or to others!

Prayer:
Faithful God,  I want to live with passion obeying your Word, reflecting your love. Remind me to affirm my love to others.  Inspire within me passion and energy as I seek to live your will. I want you to be pleased and praised by what I live. In Jesus' holy name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment